Making The Most of Social Media
We all know social media can be a double-edged sword...I've experienced it first hand. Instagram has connected me with some of my best friends, but it has also made me feel incredibly insecure as I scroll through photos of really attractive people who seem to be living perfect lives. So, how can you filter social media to keep the moments of insecurity and comparison to a minimum?
Sit down, take a hard look at all the accounts you follow, and CLEAN HOUSE. Unfollowing people can be an uncomfortable process, but don't be afraid to take control of the content you are consuming. It may be helpful to ask the following questions during the process:
1. Why am I following @x?
- There may be friends, acquaintances, or family members you feel obligated to follow. Don't fall into that trap! Empower yourself by creating a tribe of positivity IRL and online. Don't be afraid to tap the unfollow button. It won't kill anyone, and if the person gets salty about the unfollow— there are other issues at play.
2. Does @x inspire me to step out of my comfort zone and be better, or do I scroll past the image feeling inadequate and insignificant?
- Jim Rohn says you are the average of the five people you spend the most time with...I'd like to take things a step further by saying the people we connect with on social can be included in the five! Curating the content you consume will have a REAL impact on how you feel and act.
If purging your "Following" list seems a bit daunting right now, how about a baby step in the right direction? I curated a list of the Top 5 accounts I follow on Instagram to help me feel inspired and keep my mind in a positive space. In the dreary wasteland of instafamous fetuses who post bikini selfies, these women are truly aspirational and will push you to BE better IRL. Take a look, maybe give them a follow, and let me know how seeing their content affects your life.
Without further ado and in no particular order...
1. @taza: Naomi Davis
If you want a role model in life, Naomi is your girl. She is poised, wholesome, and aspirational for any woman. You don't have to be a mother to enjoy what she shares. I've followed her for a few years now, and I appreciate how authentic her content is. She has great style and is owning life in the Big Apple.
2. @soul.shapers: Soul Shapers (Founded by: Alden Steimle
I remember the first time I saw a picture of Alden, and my reaction was HOLY CRAP. THAT GIRL IS STUNNING. Wanna know the cool thing? She's just as sweet as she is beautiful! Alden's latest venture, Soul Shapers, highlights creators, philanthropists, and educators. Soul Shapers is an online community that seeks to inspire others to grow, give back, and band together. Looking for a girl gang? Soul Shapers is the solution!
3. @caroline_joy: Caroline Joy Rector
I recently stumbled upon Caroline's profile, and immediately pressed FOLLOW because the aesthetic of her feed is SO GOOD. Her recent Summer 10x10 series highlights how easy it can be to get dressed when you're intentional with your closet. She teaches you how to simplify your wardrobe and actually find outfits to wear without making you feel like you need to buy a ton of new clothes.
4. @kathhhgrifff: Katharine Griffin
I don't know Katharine personally, but I'm so inspired by her! She has a way with words. Her instagram captions are made of gold, and her blog is filled with poems that will nourish your soul. "Because in the end, I don't seek approval. I seek love." Homegirl has this whole life thing figured out on a higher level, and it will push you to climb to that level too.
5. @thealisonshow: Alison Faulkner
I had the pleasure of meeting Alison at my best friend's wedding in August. She is a FORCE to be reckoned with! I've never met someone who empowers herself and other women in such a magnetic way. Alison is unapologetically herself, and you won't be able to watch her Instastories without laughing. I promise she will inspire you to love yourself and run after your dreams.
Thanks for reading, babes.